Defending Homicide Charges in Florida
The law defines homicide as the act of one human being killing another human being. Homicide and murder are often used synonymously, but homicide is not always an intentional act, while murder is.
Copan-Gardner & Gardner, PA, has experience defending homicide and murder cases in the greater Jacksonville Beach, Florida area. Florida divides homicide into different types of crime categories: murder, involuntary manslaugher and voluntary manslaughter.
Murder is further divided into three categories.
- Murder in the First Degree - First-degree murder occurs when a person commits felony murder or premeditated murder.
- Murder in the Second Degree - Second-degree murder is committed when someone is either an accomplice to felony murder or commits murder with a depraved mind.
- Murder in the Third Degree - If someone unintentionally kills someone while attempting to commit or while committing a non-violent felony, they will be charged with third-degree murder.
Involuntary and Voluntary Manslaughter
Involuntary manslaughter occurs when someone accidentally - due to negligence - causes the death of another human being. Voluntary manslaughter is when someone intentionally kills another person due to an adequate provocation or during a moment of passion.
In Florida, manslaughter is divided into four different categories:
- Manslaughter by Act - This is considered voluntary manslaughter.
- Manslaughter by Procurement - Also considered voluntary manslaughter.
- Manslaughter by Culpable Negligence - This is involuntary manslaughter.
- Aggravated Manslaughter of a Child - Also considered involuntary manslaughter.
Felony Murder in Florida
Felony murder is defined as someone killing another human while engaging in the commission or attempted commission of:
- Aggravated abuse of a disabled adult or elderly person
- Aggravated child abuse
- Aggravated stalking
- Aircraft piracy
- Distribution of a controlled substance
- Home-invasion robbery
- Murder of a human being
- Resisting a police officer with violence
- Sexual battery
- Trafficking controlled substances
- Discharging a destructive device or bomb
Professional Law Firm Dedicated to Serving Greater Jacksonville Beach Area
Copan-Gardner & Gardner has years of experience defending criminal cases, including homicide in court. Whether you are battling for a plea bargain or a non-guilty verdict, our criminal defense team will fight for you and your rights.
Additionally, police, first responders, firefighters, military and educators receive a special discount on our legal services and a free consultation. If you are facing homicide charges, don’t hesitate to contact our legal team today to schedule an appointment.